Sunday, March 23, 2014

Walden Local Meat Co.

I don't understand all the fuss about companies like Facebook and Google saving data about us. If it means that they're able to use said data to provide targeted advertisements for things that will add value to my life I'm one happy camper. Facebook really knocked the ball out of the park by showing me an add for Walden Local Meat Co. In a nutshell Walden Local Meat Co.'s business is to deliver a monthly allocation of locally sourced grass fed meats right to your door. I got my first delivery earlier this week and have included a photo of the bounty below (I'm paying for 6 lbs monthly and received 7.5!). They also send you a cute little book with recipes and a thermometer. By the way, their customer services is phenomenal. Before signing up I had a few questions; they responded almost immediately with detailed and helpful answers.

2 x beef short ribs, 2 x country style pork ribs, 1 x maple breakfast sausages, 1 x ground beef.

For the first meal using Walden's meat I invited my sister over for some pork ribs. The book suggested slow cooking them in barbecue sauce, so I decided to cook them sous vide in a bag filled with Stubb's Smokey Mesquite sauce. We used this because it was 1) in our fridge and 2) didn't have high fructose corn syrup in it. The end result was actually really nice, the meat had a very nice smokey bbq flavor. Instead of using more sauce we simpy put the leftover sauce and juices from the sous vide bag in a bowl for dipping.



One of the sides was oven browned potatoes and sweet potatoes. In the spirit of going full fat kid I tossed them in bacon grease which unsurprisingly made whole house smelled like bacon. And the potatoes ended up with a really nice hint of bacon flavor. Yum!


Our other side was a mixed green salad with pear, gorgonzola, pecan and a savory fig vinagrette that my sister made. It was delicious.



1 comment:

  1. Tucker nice blog - I think I too may check out Walden - looks awesome and prices competitive with the Whole Foods of the world - but far better for New England.

    ReplyDelete