Sunday, March 23, 2014

Grilled cheese on crack

I got an email from my girlfriend recently that made my mouth water instantly:

Bacon + egg + onion + apple + cheese. Mind blown.



Obviously we made it, and it was better than expected. I cooked the bacon in the oven at 400 until it was allllmost at the desired level of crispiness (so that when making the grilled cheese it would firm up that last little bit and get perfectly crispy), sliced cortland apples (because they looked the best in the grocery store), fried the egg to a nice over easy, added aged cheddar cheese, and topped it off with caramelized shallots. It was ridiculous. Ridiculously awesome.



I also made a cognac heirloom tomato soup but forgot to take pictures, which might be for the best. I don't have a sieve so in order to get rid of the seeds (for textural purposes) I put it in my Vitamix. Unfortunately the basil leaves made it look a weird brown color, so I added red food coloring to make it look more... reddish. The result was an orangey red soup that looked totally bizarre but was decently tasty the night of, and absolutely delicious after a couple of days in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment