Saturday, March 22, 2014

Doughnut tasting and eggs Benedict with Sri Racha Hollandaise

I had a very good morning recently. And by good I mean unhealthy. Said morning began with eggs Benedict with Canadian bacon and Sri Racha hollandaise. Unfortunately I didn't thicken the hollandaise quite enough round one so it was a bit runnier than optimal (as you might be able to notice see in the picture) but I put it back on the double boiler and fixed it for round 2. I am convinced that there is no better hollandaise that that which is made with Sri Racha.



After the brunch shenanigans a few weeks ago one of my friends suggested that I do a doughnut tasting which basically means that I was able able to make a ton of different doughnuts without suffering the consequence from eating them all myself. I did three doughnuts: glazed doughnuts (yeast raised), chocolate glazed doughnuts (baking soda raised) and apple cider doughnuts (baking soda raised).

The yeast doughnuts are the  most difficult and the most terrible... as in I threw them out after frying two terrible batches. I definitely messed up something serious because they did not proof properly, I'm guessing that the milk was either too hot or too cold when I added the yeast (hey, give me a break, I was in a rush). Turns out that I really need a ThermaPen.

The apple cider doughnuts turned out fantastically. They had a light and cakey texture and you could really taste the apple cider. Next time I do them I'll probably use more cider and cook it down more to get an even more concentrated flavor. The cinnamon sugar also somehow felt ... dry I guess? Regardless I'd have to label them as a success but I'm excited to see how I can make them better.


Now, the chocolate glazed doughnuts were not quite as big a hit as the apple cider doughnuts but in my mind they have the most potential. The texture and great and the flavor was great (I'm especially happy with the flavor given that I used cheap cocoa powder... I can't imagine how these will turn out when the cocoa is decent). I also just acqured a wire drying rack so they won't have clumps of dried icing on their bottoms anymore. And I've left the most exciting imrovement for last - I will stuff these suckers with Nutella. The plan is to roll them twice as thinly, cut then normallhy, put nutella on the halves and use a little bit of water to seal the halves together. Nutella stuffed chocolate glazed doughnuts. Now THAT is going full fat kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment