Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Apple Pancakes

For the first 2-3 years after my return to Boston I was pretty obsessed with pancakes. During those years I probably made somewhere around 500 pancakes (measured by the number of 10 lbs pancake bags we went through). I made a myriad of varieties, such as chocolate chip, banana, strawberry, and blueberry. I even got a bit fancy, making peanut butter & Nutella stuffed pancakes and a PB&J pancake sandwich (both of which were crazy delicious). I never, however, altered the mix. I always used simple, basic Krusteaz.

Let me be the first to say that there is NOTHING wrong with Krusteaz; in fact it's amazing. With the right amount of water (I have no idea how much water they recommend, I just go by feel at this point) it makes a light, fluffy, delicious canvas for maple syrup. I was about to make pancakes for myself one morning and I had the insane/brilliant idea to replace the water with blended apple (used 1/4 apple for 2 small pancakes). Now, some people will ask me why not just cut up the apple and put it into the pancake like I would with a banana. No. That would be all messed up texture wise. Gross. No thank you. I used my Vitamix to be certain there were no surprise chunks waiting mid pancake.

What I ended up with was a light, fluffy, delicious pancake with the exact same texture as a normal pancake that had a fantastic apple flavor to it. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment