Sunday, January 26, 2014

Mission: Wings

I've made wings in the past and they sucked. The skin was not crispy, the meat was not tender, and the sauces were bland. I don't know whether that was because they were done in the oven or that I just messed it up entirely but it was frustrating enough to not try it again.

Until I got a deep fryer.

I came across a recipe for wings on Serious Eats that is essentially wings confit:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/01/the-food-lab-how-to-make-best-buffalo-wings-fry-again-ultimate-crispy-deep-fried-buffalo-wings.html

At the end of the article Kenji mentions that he'd be curious to try sous vide as the first cook, which I decided to try. My sister had invited me over to her place for the Pats first playoff game this season so I decided to bring my deep fryer over and go to town on some wings.

Holy shenanigans the results were awesome.

Super crispy skin, incredibely tender meat. My deep fryer doesn't go up to 400 but 375 was definitely enough. Definitely going to have to do this for Superbowl Sunday.

Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment